Call for Expressions of Interest – Assessors for CILIP Professional Registration
• Would you like to learn more about the profession and work with amazing colleagues?
• Would you like to expand your skills and networks?
• Would you like an opportunity to give something back?
• Would you like to benefit from a huge range of ideas from colleagues and get a unique insight into sectors outside your own?
CILIP is seeking to appoint new assessors to be part of its Professional Registration Panel (PRP).
All applications for CILIP Professional Registration (Certification, Chartership, and Fellowship) are assessed by members of the Panel. This includes assessment of Professional Registration specifically for Knowledge Management which was launched in 2019.
Assessors must be current Chartered Members or Chartered Fellows of CILIP themselves or commit to achieving this during their 6 month training period. Annual revalidation is also required. Assessors serve for a period of four years with the potential for an additional term.
CILIP is particularly interested in increasing the diversity of representation on the Panel and is actively seeking expressions of interest from members with any of the following:
• Experience in knowledge management (gained in any sector)
• Information professionals in the commercial or law sectors
• Welsh language proficiency.
Applications from the BAME and LGBTQ+ communities are particularly welcome.
PRP meets formally four times a year via both face to face and virtual meetings; meetings are held during office hours. There are also additional electronic meetings (via email) to progress more straightforward applications for registration.
Time spent on assessments can vary, but typically take up to four hours with assessors being assigned one or two per month on average.
This role is not remunerated but expenses will be paid in line with CILIP’s expenses policy.
Candidate and role profile
Assessors (Panel members) should
• be able to demonstrate active involvement in the profession and the currency of their experience
• have a good understanding of the role and value of Professional Registration
• be a Chartered Member (MCLIP) or Chartered Fellow (FCLIP) of CILIP or commit to achieve Professional Registration in the first 6 months
• have a good awareness of issues involved in assessment and quality assurance
• have experience of assessment or be able to bring transferable skills gained through staff recruitment and appraisal, project bids etc.
• be able to engage with technology, use our online platforms and standard software effectively in assessment, and be able to participate fully in virtual meetings
• have a commitment to personal CPD and annual Revalidation
• have a commitment to helping candidates to achieve their potential
• have a commitment to CILIP’s ethical values and inclusion and diversity
In assessing submissions the Panel members may undertake the following roles:
• Lead Assessor
• 2nd Assessor
• Sole Assessor (for Revalidations)
It is expected that Panel members:
• keep the applications process flowing and send results to the CILIP team as soon as a decision is reached
• look at applications as soon as possible to ensure practical issues are referred to the CILIP office quickly
• work constructively and consistently with fellow assessors so that decisions concerning applications are made in good time
• regularly attend the scheduled meetings
• have access to IT (hardware, software and connectivity) to facilitate full involvement in virtual (daytime) meetings
Panel members may also be asked to
• represent PRP and/or CILIP at local events (such as professional registration workshops for candidates and exchange of experiences sessions for mentors)
• participate in special projects and undertaking particular tasks to assist the smooth running of the Panel (such as representing CILIP on reviews, providing an ‘expert view’ in webinars or similar online learning, taking part in quality assurance and governance activities, taking part in workforce or sector consultations etc.)
Overview of the Professional Registration Panel and upcoming meeting dates 2021/2022:
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email email@example.com by Friday 29th October 2021.