Background of the role
WCG is a large FE/HE multi-site College offering courses at seven campuses across Warwickshire and Worcestershire. Each College has its own library dedicated to supporting the learning needs of its users. The library is part of the Student Services Directorate which also includes the Careers Team, Welfare Team, Residential Services, Nursery at Rugby and the Reception Team.
Working within a team providing services to a diverse community, you will need to be flexible, enthusiastic and adaptable in an ever-changing but exciting environment. You will be in regular contact with staff, so effective communication, good customer care and interpersonal skills are essential requirements, as is a good level of computer literacy.
You will come to us with significant experience in managing library systems and knowledge of Infor’s VSmart would be an advantage. Known for your accuracy and attention to detail, you will have strengths in maintaining and managing databases, producing reports and information. You will need to ensure a high quality environment and troubleshoot the selfservice machines and RFID equipment. Educated to level 4 and above, you may bring with you skills in another discipline that will complement the nature of the service.
You will be expected to develop a level of expertise that will enable you to advise colleagues on electronic resource issues and play an important part in the growth and development of the Library’s collections. This role will report directly to the Library Manager.
Main activities and responsibilities:
● To maintain and manage the library systems; VSmart, V-insight, Iguana, EBSCO Discovery and the self-check machines, import and export data using ftp and EDI.
● To monitor and liaise with suppliers/system providers, purchasing consortia and relevant user groups to ensure best value, service quality, innovation and contract compliance
● To investigate, diagnose and resolve library systems problems communication with both internal and external parties when necessary
● To maintain and manage the library systems. Providing support and training for the library team in the use of the various library management systems including the implementation and testing of upgrades and new features
● To assist in the management of change processes brought about by merger or other developments. 2/5
● To promote the use of the Google Apps for Education, Library website and electronic resources to enhance independent learning.
● To contribute to the development of the Library e-services.
● To liaise with IT and MIS staff and facilitate the processes for safe import of data
● To use library management systems tools to monitor and enhance data quality and produce reports, statistics and information as required
● To provide support to students and staff in the use of the internet, a range of electronic resources and a range of standard software applications.
● To carry out processes relating to the Library daily operations; use of LMS ‘VSmart’, locating relevant resources, support enquiry service, help desks, etc.
Deputising for the Library Manager when required, including the management of staff and resources and dealing with complaints or conflict
● To maintain student discipline, ensuring an environment conducive to learning and contributing to a courteous and efficient service to all Library users.
● To contribute to the ‘learning culture’ of the Library by proactively seeking and being prepared to participate in staff training and development activities.
● To take responsibility for his/her personal development as a member of the College Library staff. Willingness to obtain an Emergency First Aider qualification
● To conduct an agreed range of tasks and responsibilities to support overall team objectives
. ● To safeguard and promote the welfare of children and vulnerable adults for whom you are responsible and whom you come into contact with.
This list of duties is not exhaustive but outlines the main features of the post and may vary as the job evolves without affecting the nature of the duties or the responsibility level.