CILIP North East needs you!
CILIP North East are recruiting for new officers to revitalise our committee. This is a fantastic opportunity to shape how CILIP works in our region. Being a member of a CILIP committee is a great way to develop skills - from event organisation to web editing - and to grow your professional network. The CILIP North East member network committee organise a range of professional development activities and events for library and information professionals working across the North East region. We’re looking for more members to join our committee...we always need fresh eyes and ideas to enhance what we’re doing! We meet around 6 times a year and there are a wide range of ways you can get involved.
We currently have a vacancy for the following role: Equalities and Diversity Champion
Purpose of role: To champion inclusion working with other members to ensure equalities, diversity and inclusion are embedded within all committee activities
- Lead committee activities with information and advice around equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) issues.
- Write content for our journal NE Links, our newsletter, blogs, website or social media.
- Stay up to date with EDI activities that may be of interest to members and share through our communication channels.
- Act as primary contact with CILIP Policy Manager (Diversity and Inclusion.
- Work with other committee members to coordinate events, including digital events on behalf of the NE RMN including liaising with speakers.
- Curate links to relevant EDI resources for the NE CILIP web page and work with Digital Champion to maintain this information.
- To promote membership and benefits of the NE CILIP member Network and CILIP within the library and information profession, in particular to marginalised groups.
- Participate in discussions inside and outside of meetings (for example through email) and raise awareness of EDI issues in relation to those discussions.
This role is not solely responsible for equality and diversity on the committee - all committee members are responsible for this. Rather, the member in this role acts as a steer and someone who is encouraged to ask questions with an EDI focus.
- It is anticipated that you attend all committee meetings (up to 6 per year - currently held virtually)
- It is expected that you attend the Annual General Meeting.
- The amount of time this role takes up will vary. It may be 2-3 hours per month but other times it may be more, for example when planning events.
How to apply
Submit a short statement outlining your experience and suitability for this role (Max 250 words) to CILIP NE secretary (email@example.com)
CILIP is committed to championing diversity, inclusion and representation. We particularly welcome applications from BAME, disabled, LGBTQ+ and male candidates, who have historically been under-represented on our committees.
As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion, CILIP Board has set an organisation-wide goal of 20% BAME representation on all of CILIP’s committees by the end of 2022. To facilitate this, we are offering up to 150 complimentary memberships to library