Head of Library Services
Brighton and Hove
£60,822 - £66,788
Job reference: orbis/TP/8764/27190
- Are you passionate about public libraries, and the vital role they play in strengthening local communities, promoting inclusion, and inspiring people to improve their lives?
- Do you have the vision, experience, and commitment needed to make libraries a cornerstone for our community’s economic, social, and cultural wellbeing?
We are seeking a Head of Library Services for the city. This is a rare opportunity for a dynamic and experienced leader to build on the success of this well-loved service and drive forward positive change following the council’s endorsement of the new Libraries Strategy 2022-25.
Libraries are at the heart of our community, playing a vital role in promoting literacy, delivering digital access and support, and providing a safe and welcoming place where our diverse residents can access information and participate in learning and culture.
About the role
We are looking for a leader who will inspire our diverse group of staff, volunteers, and colleagues, building capability, accessibility, innovation, partnerships and engagement with community and statutory partners to deliver an effective, outcomes focused library service which meets current and future needs of this diverse city.
You will have strategic responsibility for Library Services, as part of the Housing, Neighbourhoods, and Communities Directorate, which focuses on working with residents to strengthen individual and community wellbeing. You will work collaboratively with colleagues across the directorate and wider council, to take forward a ‘one council’ approach. There is also an opportunity to take a leading role in digital inclusion across the city.
See the Library Services web pages for more information.
We are constantly seeking to improve our services to address the diverse nature of local communities and to make our service more accessible to everybody.
- You have a strategic vision for the positive impact that libraries have in supporting and engaging with communities.
- You have proven leadership skills and ability to work effectively with people at all levels, including Councillors, colleagues, and external organisations.
- You have a strong track record of managing teams through change and delivering effective services through partnership working.
- Flexible and hybrid working, and competitive pay.
- Local Government Pension scheme.
- Council funded membership of Libraries Connected, a network for heads of public library services.
- Opportunities to develop your leadership skills through the council’s Leadership Network, of which you would be a member.
We care about our staff, providing a continuous programme of leadership, management and peer led support. You will have access to a wide range of welfare and wellbeing resources, including membership of self-managing staff forums and networks such as the BME Workers Forum and the Disabled Workers and Carers Network.
For an informal discussion please contact: Sally McMahon Tel: 07919 044951 or email: email@example.com
Closing date: 24 October 2022.
Provisional interview dates are being arranged for the week beginning 14th November.
Encouraging a diverse workforce
Our city is known and loved for its diversity. Not only is the mixture of people, culture and skills vital to the economic and social development of the city, it's what makes Brighton & Hove such a great place to live, work and visit. We are committed to developing and retaining a workforce that is representative of the diverse communities we serve so we welcome applications from individuals from all backgrounds. In order to achieve our aims of proportionate representation, we particularly encourage applicants from a BME or White Other background as well as those who identify as disabled, male or trans.