General Role Description
Leads a team of knowledge, health and information officers, assistants and volunteers in the planning and delivery of health library services which effectively and positively impact on clinical effectiveness in the Trust. Leading a team providing specialist professional literacy searches, and knowledge and information which underpins and contributes to clinical effectiveness.
Strategically leads, plans, develops and delivers the Knowledge, Library & Information Service at Doncaster & Bassetlaw Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Rotherham, Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust and on behalf of other partners and organisations in accordance with service specifications and agreements. Leads a team of dedicated librarians, information specialists and knowledge & library assistants in the delivery of services in an evidence-based approach.
Duties and Responsibilities
Core responsibilities and duties will include:
1. Developing, producing and leading on the implementation of the Knowledge, Library & Information Service Strategic Plans for the organisations served.
2. Leads on the preparation, publication, monitoring and reporting of appropriate knowledge and health library strategies, aligned to Health Education England (HEE) quality developments, HEE’s NHS Library Policy and the HEE Knowledge for Healthcare framework, and relevant Trust strategies (Qii, Research, etc.)
3. Monitoring the effectiveness of the service, demonstrating impact and assuring the quality of services provided as required by the NHS Library Services quality standards in place.
4. Leads on the development, commissioning and integration of clinical and community-based health care research and skills working with new partnership opportunities such as Adult Social Care, Public Health and the CCG, within an integrated care system
5. Takes an active role in advocating on the clinical and managerial impact of effective health library services to stakeholders, leaders and practitioners in the Trust and its partner organisations
6. Enables the team to achieve continuous improvements through staff and service development
7. Leads on the effective contract management between the Council and the Trust and other organisations served, and the enablement of effective partnership and collaborative working
8. Manages teams and ensuring that work streams are managed to an excellent standard.
Specialist Skills and Knowledge
Essential skills, knowledge and experience required to fulfil the role include, but are not limited to:
- First degree or postgraduate qualification in a Chartered Institute of Library & Information Professionals (CILIP) accredited Libraries & Information Science qualification. A management/leadership qualification would be desirable.
- Chartered or Fellowship member of CILIP.
- Management experience of working in libraries, preferably in an NHS/health related setting, developing services and managing resources to meet the needs of a community.
- Knowledge and understanding of NHS and HEE policies, strategies and frameworks at national, regional and local levels.
- Ability to develop Knowledge Management elements within a strategic environment and with mobilisation of evidence
- Knowledge and understanding of the Knowledge for Healthcare Framework principles and the ability to apply and surpass the required NHS Library Services quality standards in the delivery of services in an evidence-based approach.
- Experience of influencing senior management decision making,
- Ability to manage budgets and resources in real time, within a tariff funded NHS/Health Education England environment.
All staff working on NHS premises have a responsibility to appraise themselves of how the prevention of the spread of Health Care Associated Infections relates to their role. They have a responsibility to ensure they are aware of Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust policies and procedures in relation to infection prevention and control, and ensure that they comply with them in fulfilling their role.
In addition, staff working within the NHS are bound by a duty of confidentiality and must conduct their duties in line with the NHS Confidentiality Code of Practice, Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act and appropriate Copyright legislation and comply with Information Governance related standards at all times.