The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) is a world leading authority, whose researchers produce independent analysis to advance a wider understanding of global security, geo-economics and geopolitics. The Institute has a vacancy for an experienced information specialist to join the Knowledge & Information Services team. The successful candidate will play a key role, working with colleagues to deliver institute-wide knowledge, information and archive services.
- Support the work of colleagues in other departments throughout the organisation by information retrieval, evaluation and synthesis.
- Develop a clear understanding of the information needs of users and potential users throughout the institute, so as to be able to react to and anticipate user needs.
- Demonstrate the value that information specialist can bring a research organisation by providing accurate and timely information support.
Resource management and development:
- Ordering, accessioning, cataloguing, classifying and processing new stock.
- Library collection and archive management.
- Proactively sourcing and assessing potential stock additions.
- Liaising with colleagues regarding their information requirements.
Management of the IISS archive:
- Continue the implementation of the IISS archive and then take the lead on future archive and records management initiatives.
- Working with colleagues in the publications department on the fact-checking of IISS publications; and
- Other tasks or projects relevant to the post as determined by Line Manager.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A degree or postgraduate qualification in either Librarianship/Information Science or Archives/Records Management.
- Significant experience of working in an information service or archive, including the provision of research assistance.
- Working knowledge of IT in a library/information centre context including LMS, databases, e-journals and Microsoft Office packages.
- Core technical collection management skills - cataloguing, indexing and stock selection.
- The ability to work on own initiative and organise own workload to meet deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong client focus, customer-service ethos and dedication to service delivery.
- Strong team working values.
- A flexible, adaptive and responsive outlook in relation to duties and working hours.
- Salary: Commensurate with skills and experience.
- Benefits package includes: Life Assurance, Private Medical Insurance and Contributory Pension Scheme.
To apply candidates should submit a letter explaining the skills and experience they would bring to this role, enclose a CV and a list of referees.
If you require further information regarding the post, please feel free to contact Kevin Jewell, Head of Knowledge & Information Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the expected volume of applications, only those applicants selected for interview will receive a reply following the acknowledgement email. The IISS is an equal opportunities employer.