The role holder is responsible for running daily operations of the Al Maktoum Medical Library (AMML) and implementing internal initiatives with the aim of providing excellent library services in the field of healthcare. Also, the role executes tasks to support maintenance and upkeep of library’s resources in order to achieve operational and institutional excellence in line with the University’s goals.
- Executes initiatives to support the development of book/journal selection methods, acquisition and control measures, library database and information services, cataloging/referencing activities in order to deliver library objectives and ensures implementation.
- Undertakes initiatives to continuously drive maintenance and enrichment of metadata representing University’s digital, physical, and virtual collections of medical information.
- Oversees administration, maintenance and upkeep of library resources, technological platforms/systems and support services to ensure the library and its facilities meet the requirements, resources and standards of healthcare quality.
- Interacts with stakeholders from Marketing and External Relations to support development of graphics and signage for Library services and ensures proper presentation of the library and its resources to library visitors in order to preserve the image and integrity of the library.
- Provides inputs for development of websites and e-library operations to enhance service delivery features of the library and support provision of requisite online facilities for medical research at AMML.
- Consolidates ideas/concepts/practices/techniques to improve the quality, productivity and variety of facilities at the library and implements key tasks and workflows for the deployment of library services.
- Leads operations for upkeep and maintenance of the Library building to maintain overall safety, cleanliness and soundness of the facility while also ensuring an attractive and comfortable environment for library users/students and staff.
- Participates in internal committees/meetings/task forces and builds strong relations with external stakeholders in order to obtain best advantage for the benefit of the library and represent library interests in an effective manner.
- Serves as the key point of contact and provides guidance to all library visitors and resolves any escalated queries, visitor complaints or library management issues in a timely manner to uphold excellent standards of customer service.
- Oversees daily financial activities at the Library (such as collections fees, fines and other charges) and coordinates with Finance to ensure that all financial transactions are accounted for and correctly recorded for book keeping.
- Keeps abreast with the latest developments in the healthcare industry and maintains information on healthcare regulatory guidelines to ensure AMML and its facilities are maintained in line with the changing requirements.
People Management Responsibilities:
- Develops a continuous talent pipeline for key roles in the department and provides mentoring for high potential talent in the team.
- Monitors and enables the achievement of goals and key performance indicators for direct reports and ensures effective implementation of the performance management process in the department.
- Develops talent within the department by providing guidance, ongoing feedback, coaching and development opportunities to individuals to enable achievement of the defined goals.
- Master’s Degree in Library or Information Sciences from a CILIP or ALA accredited program or equivalent
- Eligibility or membership of Medical Library Association (MLA) preferred
Written and spoken English is essential, Arabic is preferred
Years of Experience:
A minimum of 2 years of experience in an academic, research or health sciences Library