2 years fixed term contract - part-time
Conway Hall, owned by the charity Conway Hall Ethical Society, was first opened in 1929, but the Society itself dates back to 1787. We curate, support and facilitate people and ideas that make ethics matter in the world, through a vibrant arts, events and learning programme. Our Library and Archives forms the largest and most comprehensive humanist research resource of its kind in the UK. Conway Hall is renowned as a hub for free speech and independent thought.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated professional, who can work creatively to ensure that our high standards of Library and Archives are maintained. The successful candidate will have a CILIP approved (or overseas equivalent) library qualification or substantial relevant experience, and proven experience of cataloguing, managing, promoting and exploiting library and archive resources.
- To promote and be an advocate for use of the Library and Archives for learning, research and enjoyment by a broad and diverse audience.
- To oversee collections development, management and care of Conway Hall’s library, archives and artwork collections.
- To promote access to and engagement with the Library and Archives, maintaining a welcoming and inclusive public service.
- To work with the Learning Officer and Library Assistant to promote access, use and enjoyment of the Library and Archives by diverse audiences.
- To deliver a welcoming public enquiry service (on site and online) and assist researchers in accessing and using the collections.
- To manage Conway Hall’s library, archives and artwork collections to relevant professional standards.
- To update and maintain the collections management system (Heritage Cirqa) and online catalogue.
- To manage acquisitions in accordance with the Collections Policy and Archives Policy, ensuring collections reflect the interests and needs of our audiences.
- To oversee collections care, including environmental monitoring, condition reporting and liaising with conservators to arrange conservation treatment.
- To manage and ensure continued accessibility of online digital collections and resources and to oversee the delivery of digitisation projects.
- To write and update strategy and policy documents relating to the Library and Archives.
- To promote the ethos and heritage of Conway Hall through creating engaging and educational social media and blog content.
- To train, manage and support volunteers working in the Library and Archives.
- To comply with Conway Hall’s policies such as health and safety, customer care etc.
- To assist the Learning Officer in developing and delivering learning and engagement activities, using the Library and Archives.
- To contribute to the planning and development of funding applications.
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the Chief Executive Officer.
- A CILIP approved (or overseas equivalent) library qualification or substantial relevant experience.
- Proven experience of cataloguing, managing, promoting and exploiting library and archive resources.
- Awareness of relevant cataloguing, metadata and collections care standards and practices.
- Excellent written, verbal, presentational, digital and social media communication skills.
- Proven organisational skills: ability to analyse, plan, prioritise, work to deadlines and produce results.
- Experience of working on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Ability to be an advocate for the values of Conway Hall, to further and promote our mission and charitable objective.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as required.
- Experience of working with rare books, archives or special collections and an awareness of collections care requirements.
- Experience of working with volunteers in a leadership role.
- An interest in one or more of the subject areas covered by the Library and Archives.
Hours: 9.30 – 17.00 3 days per week, but flexibility can be applied.
Holidays: Pro rata 24 days per annum, plus additional days over the Christmas holiday period, (all based upon 37.5 hours per week).
Probation period: 3 month.
Pension: A stakeholder pension scheme is available. Employee contribution of 3% is matched by 5% from the employer.
Closing Date: 17th March 2020.
Interview Date: 24th March 2020.
Submission information: Please send a CV, covering letter and to firstname.lastname@example.org after reading through the job description. Please also complete and return our Equality and Diversity Monitoring Form.
For further info https://conwayhall.org.uk/about/opportunities/job/librarian/
Conway Hall is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.