Role: Local Events Liaison (LEL) volunteer for Bristol, Bath and Somerset.
Purpose of role: To oversee and manage local events for the South West Member Network, and to report back on activities to the Committee at regular meetings (usually held on Zoom).
- To create an ongoing plan of events in conjunction with other members of the Committee based on priorities set out in the business plan.
- This includes the regular maintenance of the Events Calendar held on the Committee’s shared CILIP Google Drive (access details are provided in our Committee Members’ Guide)
- To co-ordinate events on behalf of the South West Member Network Committee, including organising venues, speakers, bookings, liaising with customers and host authorities, along with other members of the Events team (other LELs, the Events Co-ordinator, and ad hoc volunteers from the rest of the Committee).
- The south west region poses challenges in terms of its geography, and the LELs should monitor the distribution of events throughout the year to ensure that as much of the region is covered as possible.
- This will involve regular liaison with the Events Co. and other LELs.
- To encourage members to get involved in organising events and provide support for them.
- To provide on-the-day support to make sure everything goes to plan and issues are resolved.
- To provide information to the Committee about events, including post-event evaluation.
- To maintain a log of past events to feed into the annual report.
- To assist the Treasurer by managing events’ finances.
- To prepare and distribute event publicity in conjunction with other members of the Committee responsible for marketing and publicity.
- To promote the membership and benefits of the South West Member Network and CILIP within the library and information profession.
This post is designed for someone who is a member of CILIP.
The amount of time this role takes up will vary and may be 1-3 hours per week during events. Committee members are expected to be proactive and to participate in committee discussions (usually by email) between meetings and events.
If you would like to know more, or are interested in applying, please contact the Chair at email@example.com.
CILIP is committed to championing diversity, inclusion and representation. We particularly welcome applications from people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, candidates who identify as LGBTQ+, people with experience of disability and those who are neurodiverse, who have historically been under-represented on our committees.
Free memberships for library and information workers from ethnically diverse backgrounds
As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion, the CILIP Board has set an organisation-wide goal of 20% ethnically diverse representation on all of CILIP’s boards and committees by the end of 2022. To facilitate this, we are offering up to 150 complimentary memberships to library, knowledge and information workers from ethnically diverse backgrounds who are duly selected to join a committee before the end of 2022. This offer is open to CILIP members and non-members.