We are looking for a Research and Outreach Librarian to support and promote our library service. With over 120,000 members in 140 countries, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) has been at the heart of the mechanical engineering profession since 1847. Our library is a world-class engineering resource containing key databases, journals and texts. Members are offered remote access to 15 databases containing a huge array of information and can explore our extensive archives and artefacts.
As a Research and Outreach Librarian, you will ensure that members are aware of our library resources and are supported in a successful manner. Primarily, you will respond to members’ technical and business information enquiries, as well as fulfilling document supply requests.
You will also be responsible for promoting our library service using social media and other channels in partnership with our Marketing Department. You will organise and deliver online training on information resources and services.
Some of your duties will involve:
- Managing our inter-library loan service
- Cataloguing , processing and abstracting titles
- Utilising the library’s databases and resources to respond to queries
- Writing articles for our institution’s publications and making social media posts
- Testing and setting-up new digital library resources
- Providing tours of the building to small groups
- Collating usage statistics
- Promoting library services through webinars and presentations
To join us as a Research and Outreach Librarian, you will need:
- Experience of working in an information or library environment, configuring library catalogues and information systems and promoting and marketing an information service
- Experience of utilising social media to promote library services
- Experience of providing digital information services, such as eBooks or eJournals to remote offsite users
- Experience of enquiry work and providing an effective, customer-focused service
- Experience of cataloguing to AACR2 and classifying using DDC
- Database and advanced online searching skills with knowledge of key information sources
- A qualification, ideally a postgraduate qualification, in Library Science or similar
Experience of any of the following would be beneficial: the OLIB OCLC library management system, discovery tools such as EBSCO Discovery Service or Summon, marketing, offering user skills training, working with archives, answering technical or engineering enquiries, or engineering and technical databases.
- Salary of circa £30,000
- Stakeholder pension scheme (employer matches contribution up to 10% of salary)
- Access to BUPA private medical insurance and Medicash Cash Back Plan
- Life assurance worth three times your annual salary
- A minimum of 26 days’ holiday plus Bank Holidays and a day off for your birthday
- A range of benefits to encourage a healthy work-life balance
- Flexible working
- Discounted meals at the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Free membership of the Institution and professional membership subscription for employees
The closing date for applications is the 25th July 2019.
Interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis as suitable applicants apply. An immediate start is available for the right candidate.
Thank you for your interest in this post. We look forward to receiving your application.
Webrecruit and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you are ready to take your next step as a Research and Outreach Librarian, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.