CILIP Yorkshire and Humberside Regional Member Network
We are seeking a Secretary to support the Chair with essential committee functions, so that we can offer local support and development opportunities to Library and Information Professionals in our region.
What the Secretary does:
- Monitors the CILIP Yorkshire and Humberside Member Network Secretary email account, dealing with or passing on enquiries. Assists the Chair in passing on information to committee members. Produces email communications for local members which promote committee events and information, using the CILIP mass mailing system and other mailing lists.
- Helps organise, and takes and circulates minutes of committee and general meetings (including AGM) of CILIP Yorkshire and Humberside Member Network. Meetings usually take place online. Supports other officers and committee members to produce occasional committee reports or documentation.
- Maintains records for CILIP Yorkshire and Humberside Member Network (e.g. committee member information), using cloud storage tools.
- Helps advise the committee on issues raised by CILIP relating to regulation, guidance and governance of Regional Member Networks, with support from the Chair and CILIP.
- Has the opportunity to be involved with organising events, projects and marketing.
- Promotes the membership and benefits of CILIP Yorkshire and Humberside Member Network and CILIP within the library and information profession.
What you'll get in return:
- Evidence for your CV of experience frequently sought-after by employers, e.g. management of budgets, events and volunteers.
- Opportunities to meet, work and chat with local information professionals in many different roles and sectors.
- Evidence for Professional Registration Criteria 1 and 3 and your PKSB (e.g. sections 4, 8, 11 and 12).
- Opportunities to attend events and training (development opportunities).
- Reduction in CILIP membership rates.
- Travel expenses for committee business.
Hours are flexible; workload varies depending on committee activities and time of year. Usually up to an hour a week, keeping on top of emails. Plus attendance and minute-taking at the AGM (may be online or in-person) and 4-6 committee meetings per year (usually take place online). During events there may be some additional organisational work, e.g. responding to attendee emails.
Please note: This is an unpaid position open to members of CILIP Yorkshire & Humberside only. See above for benefits.
Applicants are encouraged from all sectors and should either live or work in Yorkshire or Humberside. CILIP is committed to championing diversity, inclusion, and representation. We particularly welcome applications from BAME, disabled, LGBTQ+ and male candidates, who have historically been under-represented on our committees.
If you would like to learn more about this role, or attend a committee meeting to see how we work, please email our Chair Laura Broadbent at Chair.YH@cilip.org.uk for a chat. Laura has just vacated this Secretary role and so knows it very well! She will be happy to provide support and training.
If this role isn’t right for you but you would like to explore other opportunities to be involved with our committee, please get in touch.