You will be part of the Information Governance (IGO) Division in the Directorate General Secretariat. Our Division has 50 members of staff who provide the framework, policies, procedures and tools to ensure that both ECB staff and EU citizens have access to and benefit from ECB information and knowledge now and in the future.
In your role as Taxonomy Expert, you will play a key role in strengthening the ECB’s intelligence and end users’ search experience.
You will lead the design and development of taxonomies at enterprise level to ensure that ECB information can be more easily found and interlinked. You will develop metadata schemas, taxonomies, ontologies and knowledge maps to ensure that ECB staff can better connect ECB information to produce improved analysis for decision making.
You will collaborate closely with colleagues across the Division and all ECB business areas, and particularly within ECB Banking Supervision.
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply, irrespective of your gender, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability or other characteristics.
As Taxonomy Expert you will:
- analyse the institution’s needs for information interoperability and findability and identify key priority areas to maximise the value and impact of information assets;
- lead the design of business information architecture (metadata schemas, taxonomies, ontologies, knowledge maps, etc.) to enhance the interoperability and findability of institutional information;
- critically review institutional knowledge and information structures;
- lead the implementation of appropriate taxonomy solutions;
- support the Division and the ECB in further developing our information interoperability and findability knowledge and skills;
- contribute to the Division’s strategic planning by identifying particular trends and opportunities in the area of interoperability, findability and content governance.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to contribute to the digital transformation of a dynamic institution. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a master’s degree or equivalent in library science, information science, knowledge management, information governance, information management, or a related field (for details on degree equivalences);
- a minimum of three years’ experience in the design, development, implementation and maintenance of metadata schemas, taxonomies, thesauri, ontologies, knowledge maps and/or information interoperability models;
- familiarity with industry standards for taxonomy, thesauri (e.g. ANSI/NISO Z.39.19 and ISO 25964), semantic organisation (e.g. SKOS (Simple Knowledge Organization System), RDF (Resource Description Framework), and OWL (Web Ontology Language));
- the ability to understand, conceptualise and explain complex semantic concepts to technical and non-technical audiences to demonstrate clear business benefits;
- user-focused search design skills and experience;
- experience analysing and prioritising user and business requirements;
- strong organisational, time-management and planning skills;
- an advanced (C1) command of English and an intermediate (B1) command of at least one other official language of the EU, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- experience working with taxonomy management tools (e.g. Smartlogic Semaphore, PoolParty, Synaptica, Mondeca);
- experience creating graphics to conceptualise solutions (e.g. low-fidelity wireframes using Balsamiq, Adobe XD, InDesign);
- the ability to interact with and influence stakeholders at different levels;
- advanced user-level skills in standard MS Office applications (such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs.
The formal title for this position will be Information Management Expert.
Temporary appointments may be extended or made permanent subject to organisational needs and budgetary constraints. This may result in a staff member with a non-convertible fixed-term contract being offered a convertible contract in accordance with the ECB Conditions of Employment.
For additional information on this specific vacancy, you can speak to the recruiting manager, Laura Rodewald, on +49 (0)69 1344 5708 between 15.00 and 16.00 on Thursday, 12 March and 10.00 and 12.00 on Tuesday, 17 March, between 13:00 and 15:00 on Monday, 30 March and between 14:00 and 16:00 on Wednesday, 15 April 2020.
The recruitment process for this position will include an on-site written exercise, a presentation and interviews if you are invited to participate in the selection phase.
Application and selection process
For further information on how to join us, please click on the Apply button.
Closing date: Monday, 20 April 2020