The House of Commons is a unique and exciting place to work right at the heart of the UK's thriving democratic system.
Behind the scenes, the House of Commons Service is made up of more than 3,000 employees who support and facilitate the smooth day to day running of the House. They provide professional services to Members of Parliament, their staff, and the wider parliamentary community.
In addition to your salary, we offer an attractive range of benefits including:
- 30 days’ annual leave (increasing to 35 days after first full leave year).
- Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%.
- Access to training and development.
- Flexible working.
- Interest free season ticket loan and bicycle loan.
The House of Commons Library delivers high quality research, information and analysis for Members of Parliament, their staff, House staff and the public. It is part of the Research and Information Team (R&I) in the House of Commons, which also includes the Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST).
This is an exciting opportunity to join the busy Library Resources Section (LRS) which is part of the Library Services directorate within R&I. You will actively manage, develop, and promote the Library Management System (LMS) and the Library’s Discovery Platform. You will also lead a team of colleagues who are working together to design a digitisation programme to preserve and make searchable a range of mostly paper-based resources within Parliament.
Some of the responsibilities include:
- Managing, developing, and promoting the LMS for the House of Commons Library to ensure the best possible user experience and search results for user
- Managing, developing and promoting the discovery platform for the House of Commons Library to ensure the best possible user experience and search results for users.
- Working with colleagues in the Online Resources Team to ensure that database and e-journal content is kept up to date in the discovery platform
- Responsibility for troubleshooting any issues with the discovery platform.
- Line management and development of the Technical Services and Digitisation teams which includes direct management of two members of staff. These two postholders have direct line management of other team members.
Skills and Experience
To be successful in this role you will demonstrate:
- Hold a recognised library or information management professional qualification or equivalent role specific experience
- Ability to demonstrate experience of using and managing library management systems, including experience of database querying with a willingness to learn Structured Query Language (SQL), editing of MARC files, and experience and understanding of website administration.
- Experience of managing and motivating a team, or demonstrable ability to develop these skills, including setting realistic objectives, monitoring performance, giving feedback, and supporting development.
Next Steps and additional information
If you would like to apply for this role, please click on the Apply button to be taken to the website.
More information on the role and the full criteria can be found in the Job Description.
The interview process will require you to prepare and deliver a short presentation. Further details will be provided if you are successfully shortlisted for an interview.
Please note that most job offers will be made at the minimum of the salary range, other than in exceptional circumstances.