Would you like to gain valuable experience in leadership, people management, event planning and other core professional skills whilst engaging with other information practitioners across the South West?
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FREE CAKE?*
The Committee for the South West Member Network would like to appoint a Vice Chair to take over from the current post-holder from January 2021. The Vice Chair will work alongside the Chair with a view to taking over this role in due course.
Ideally, the appointee will begin working with the Committee in advance of the handover date to enable a cohesive transfer of duties and the opportunity to liaise with current Committee members about the role and the duties involved.
Purpose of role: The Vice Chair deputises for the Chair in their absence, as well as providing general assistance to the Chair and other committee members as requested. It is customary for the Vice Chair to serve for one year before taking over as Chair the following year, though this is open to negotiation.
- Co-ordinating the activities of the South West member network and ensuring it meets its core offer and priorities.
- Contributing to suggestions for, and/or assisting in the organising of, future events and training.
- Acting, where necessary, as lead spokesperson for the network and representing the network at CILIP meetings and external events in the absence of the Chair.
- Chairing committee meetings in the absence of the Chair.
- Working with committee members to help prepare the business plan and annual report.
- Liaising with the Secretary regarding communication with committee members.
- As one of the officers, to participate in overall management of the South West Committee.
- To promote the membership and benefits of the South West Member Network and CILIP within the library and information profession.
This role is open to flexibility and allows involvement in the different aspects of committee work supporting members in the South West. It provides an excellent opportunity to develop leadership skills as well as hone existing strengths.
Some experience of management or leadership would be an advantage but is not essential.
The amount of time this role takes up will vary and may be 1-3 hours per week, though around Committee events and meetings this is likely to increase.
Committee members are expected to be proactive and to participate in committee discussions (usually by emailing list) between meetings and events.
You will be given access to a dedicated CILIP email account, which must be used for all communications outside the Committee.
If you would like to know more, or are interested in applying, please contact the Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Cake may be virtual, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please feel free to supply own cake in lieu of actual cake.