Cambridgeshire County Council was first formed in 1889 as a result of the Local Government Act 1888, as one of two county councils covering Cambridgeshire; the other was the Isle of Ely County Council. In 1965 the two councils were merged to form Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely County Council.
This arrangement lasted until 1974 when, following the Local Government Act 1972, Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely was merged with Huntingdon and Peterborough to form a new non-metropolitan county of Cambridgeshire under the control of a newly constituted Cambridgeshire County Council. The first elections to the new authority were in April 1973, and the council took office on 1 April 1974.
From its recreation in 1974 until 1998 the county council administered the entire county of Cambridgeshire. In 1998 Peterborough city council became a unitary authority, thus outside the area of the county council. For ceremonial, geographic and certain administrative purposes however, Peterborough continues to be associated with Cambridgeshire, including sharing a Chief Executive Officer.
If you have any questions about Information Professional Jobs, or would like to know more, please contact us.
7 Ridgmount Street, London, WC1E 7AE
Registered charity no: 313014
VAT registration no: GB 233 1573 87
© Copyright CILIP